Venture Capital Support
We provide comprehensive support to venture capital (VC) firms across the investment life cycle. We help them monitor existing and new markets for consumer behaviour and economic/demographic changes, helping them with real-time market-pulse tracking and sourcing quality targets to invest in.
Our deal-sourcing services help VC clients identify and maintain a pipeline of potentially interesting startups, helping them have increased visibility of startups in the space (95% visibility of attractive companies) and pre-empt investment opportunities. We also conduct VC due diligence by creating diligence frameworks and conducting research, ensuring faster turnaround on deal decision (40-50% reduction in time taken to close a deal).
Our portfolio monitoring and advisory services enable VC firms to track performance of portfolio companies and funds periodically, conduct strategic portfolio reviews and prepare bespoke presentation material for investor reporting with limited partners.
Acuity Knowledge Partners’ VC domain team is experienced in working with all market data sources relevant for VC clients including Preqin, FactSet, CB Insights, Crunchbase, SimilarWeb, App Annie, Venture intelligence, PitchBook and sector-specific sources.
Venture Capital (VC) - Support We Offer
- Industry landscapes and market mapping
- Tracking new business models, tech advancements, tech trends, etc. in focused sub-sectors
- Creation and maintenance of databases of attractive companies or startups
- VC deal activity tracking
- Creation of tech/startup “watch lists”
- Target screening and shortlisting
- Trading and transaction comps to arrive at sector multiples
- Macroeconomic and industry KPI dashboards
- Maintaining data rooms
- Managing internal CRM databases
- Market overviews and industry analysis
- Opportunity size assessment in terms of total addressable market (TAM) and serviceable addressable market (SAM)
- Competition landscaping
- Peer benchmarking in terms of product features, business models, web/mobile traction, etc.
- User analysis including cohorts analysis
- User analysis including cohorts analysis
- Storyboarding due diligence documents/investment memos (IMs) and developing investment theses
- Valuation (DCF, LBO, relative) and sensitivity analysis
- Ad hoc research as part of ongoing agreement
- Collecting, tracking and validating portfolio company data on a regular basis
- Financial, operational, sector-specific and valuation KPI tracking
- Capturing detailed financial statements including P&L, BS and cash flow statements
- Creating customised reports, dashboards, bespoke LP reports, fund factsheets
- Portfolio benchmarking analysis
- Periodic portfolio company updates before board meetings
- Maintenance of third-party tools such as iLEVEL and Ipreo
- Product/service competition benchmarking
- Product diversification analysis
- M&A support
- Opportunity assessment
- Market selection and entry strategy
- Cohort analysis
- Fund-raising support including competitive intelligence, marketing presentations and collateral, investor mapping and profiling
- Fund-tracking support
- LP meeting support
- Fund strategy review material
- Internal material including theme identification, supporting storylines, investment theses, sector updates and technology reports
What we have delivered annually
Fund manager review
Manager track record analysis
Manager performance attribution analysis
How we are different
One-stop shop for venture capital solutions
We provide expertise and service offerings to support you in all aspects of the venture capital investment cycle
Proactive and experienced teams to source deals and maintain your investment pipeline
Enabling clients to have high (c.95%) visibility of startups in the focus sector or subsector and maintain a healthy investment pipeline by improving the quality of deal sourcing
Strong venture capital domain expertise
Experienced team with VC domain + technology sector expertise to conduct valuable analysis such as customer cohorts, unit economics, tech investment themes and tech product/feature benchmarking analysis
Robust portfolio monitoring with our in-house managed solution FolioSure
One point of contact for VC firms to collect, input, validate and monitor portfolio company KPIs
What we have done
Our perspective on Venture Capital Support
Meet our experts
Pratap leads the Private Equity and Venture Capital practices at Acuity Knowledge Partners, responsible for managing and developing client relationships and overseeing multiple accounts. He has extensive experience in managing direct investments, primary fund investments, FoFs and complex secondary transactions. Over the last 14 years, he has been involved in more than 5,000 Private Markets deals.
Sumit heads the Consulting & Private Equity vertical at Acuity Knowledge Partners. He also oversees the China Delivery Centre. Sumit is responsible for strategy formulation and implementation, innovation and business development, in addition to providing oversight to delivery groups. He has more than 18 years’ experience across diverse lines of services, including private equity, consulting, market research, investment banking, and commercial banking. In his previous roles at Acuity Knowledge Partners, Sumit was instrumental in setting up the Investment Banking vertical and multiple other services. He also led the business turnaround of a subsidiary company as its COO. He is a chartered accountant and a national rank holder in the foundation level of ICAI.
Senior Director, Head – Commercial Banking and Asset Management Business Development
Pedro Armstrong is a Director at Acuity Knowledge Partners and leads business development efforts in the Americas for the Corporate and Commercial Banking, Buy-side, and Sell-side segments. He is responsible for managing key client engagements and works in partnership with capital market firms to provide customized solutions across research and analytics support, origination and lending support, and marketing and compliance support. He has been with the organization for 12 years, serving in various roles across Sri Lanka, Costa Rica, and now the US. Prior to joining Acuity Knowledge Partners, he was a Central Bank Regulator at the Central Bank of Barbados. Pedro, who is a British Chevening Scholar, holds a Master’s degree (honors) in Banking and International Finance from Cass Business School, City University, London.
Senior Director, Investment Banking, Private Equity and Consulting Business Development
Adrian leads Business Development across Investment Banking, Private Equity and Consulting clients in EMEA and APAC. He has 20 years' experience working in the financial services industry, having spent 13 years working in Equity Capital Markets for Rothschild and RBS, before moving to Acuity Knowledge Partners in 2013. He has a deep knowledge of financial markets, having originated and executed over USD50bn of ECM transactions across a wide range of sectors, products and geographies. He has extensive experience working with and advising the majority of Investment Banking coverage and product groups, and leading global Private Equity firms. Adrian holds a MA (Hons Oxon) in Philosophy, Politics and Economics from the University of Oxford.
Marie Filotti heads APAC Business Development at Acuity Knowledge Partners and is based in Hong Kong. She joined the firm in 2018 after 13 years in Investment Banking and Capital Markets, mainly at Nomura (previously Lehman Brothers), and also worked on the corporate side, having run Investor Relations at a China-based ASX-listed gas company. She uses her experience in the industry to advise our clients on best practices in implementation of engagements across all sectors. Marie holds a BA from Yale University and a Masters in Finance from Sciences-Po Paris.